Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
Watermelon is a sweet juicy fruit having a thick covering of stripped green skin and has reddish soft flesh with a lot of black seeds.
The scientific name of watermelon is Citrullus lanatus and it belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae which also contains cucumber, pumpkin, and squash.
It takes only 3 months to grow from a seed to ripe watermelon. Now, in the market, there are 1000 different kinds of watermelon.
The main perspective of writing this article is,
Can dogs eat watermelon?
It is discussed in detail below. It gives you satisfactory information on this topic.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
Yes, dogs can eat watermelons as these are full of nutrition and also mouth watering. Your dog will love it. Watermelon has a soft and juicy flesh which the dogs love to scoop. They will eat it wherever they will saw it. Dogs are loveable and adorable creatures when they give you their cute eyes and beg you to give them watermelon you should not resist and give them. The point that you should keep in your mind is that it shouldn’t be given in large quantity.
How Much Quantity Of Watermelon Can Dogs Consume?
Now how much quantity of watermelon is safe for your dog? This is the most important point as large amounts can cause the problem.
If you are giving your dog watermelon for the first time then give 2 or 3 pieces of watermelon that have the width of 1 inch.
If your dog is well with this amount then there is no point of getting worried.
You can also increase the amount but it will be safer not to increase more than 4 or 5 pieces.
You have to increase the amount slowly not immediately.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon Rind?
- The rind or peel of watermelon is of no benefit for dogs but these can be beneficial to human beings.
- It is not recommended by vet doctors for giving these to dogs.
- It is hard and wide.
- It can be harmful as it can cause digestion problems.
- Also, it can give birth to gastric and intestinal issues.
- It has the smooth appearance but it is hard for dogs to chew and digest.
- In this way, it can cause tooth pain if chewed on it for a longer time.
- It is not compulsory that all the dogs will become ill but some eat these and develop no signs of discomfort.
- You don’t need a vet if there are no symptoms of pain and digestion problem.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon Seeds?
- Watermelon has black, tough and hard seeds.
- These are numerous in number.
- Watermelon is safe for dogs but you have to be cautious about seeds.
- Seeds are large in number and cause many problems.
- First of all, these can cause the problem in ingesting.
- These can cause the problem in digestion as already it is a bit hard for dogs to digest fruits.
- Then it can cause obstruction in the intestine.
- Watermelon seeds sometimes can cause poisoning. It can be the hard shell of seed or something inside the shell that causes poisoning.
- Sometimes dog eats these in a small number and survive but it is not same for all dogs.
- Some dogs may encounter sudden poisoning and abdominal pain.
Can Dogs Eat Seedless Watermelons?
Seedless watermelon came into the pictures approximately 50 years ago. Seedless watermelons are named because the white seeds do not grow into hard and tough black seeds but it does not mean that these cannot be harmful. The harm to your dog is from the number of seeds but white cause less trouble than black ones.
It’s not necessary that your dog will immediately encounter poisoning as some dogs behave totally well.
There is the risk of obstruction in esophagus and intestine but its chances are less than of black seeds.
The best way of giving your dog watermelon is to remove the seeds; also the white and unripe ones.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelons Safely?
Watermelon is not harmful or poisonous fruit however it should be given occasionally and also can be given as a treat. Dogs love to eat this sweet delicious fruit. Some dogs don’t like it but others love it. You can also give them watermelon treats.
If you want to surprise your dogs then frozen watermelon is one of the best options especially in summer season as it will prevent dehydration and its flesh and juice is also yummy.
- 1 cup of coconut water or coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 2 cups of stripped seedless watermelons
- 1 tablespoon of honey
(It isn’t necessary because watermelons have natural sugars but if your pet dog likes it then why not add a little amount of honey).
- Different designs ice cubes trays
- Put all these ingredients (coconut milk, watermelon flesh, and honey) in a juicer or blender.
- Mix it thoroughly in the juicer.
- Now fill the portions in different ice cube trays.
- Put these in the freezer and wait.
- Take them out when they are fully frozen.
- Now give your dog these frozen watermelon pieces as a treat in hot sunny days.
Side Effects Of Consuming Higher Amounts
Watermelon is no doubt a yummy and nutritious fruit but its higher amounts can sometimes cause problems to your adorable and sweet pooch. These problems can be
- Disturbance in bowel movements
- Digestive irritation
- Sometimes due to certain factors, it can also cause bloat; in this condition, stomach swells and its size enlarges due to gas and liquid.
- It can also give your pooch excessive urination.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon
Watermelon is beneficial for both humans and dogs. Its importance is also because of the nutritious elements present in it. They make it highly advantageous for consumption. Following valuable elements are present in watermelon,
- Water (92%)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Beta carotenes
These make this yummy fruit a very healthy fruit. These nutrients lend it the following qualities,
- It is highly beneficial for dehydration.
- It also aids in overcoming excessive heat in the body of the dog.
- It helps in maintaining dogs craving for food.
- It makes dog’s spontaneous reactions razor shaped.
- It replenishes amino acids deficiency.
- It prevents teeth problems, wrinkles on dog’s skin and weakness.
- It increases white blood cells functioning because of the presence of water soluble vitamin.
- It preserves the effective functioning of enzymes.
- Watermelon is also beneficial for teeth and biochemical reactions in the body.
- It also contains antioxidants.
- It also has fiber content; fruits and vegetables have fiber that is beneficial for a healthy body.
- It also gives a glowing effect to the hair coat.
- Vitamin A presence makes it precious and advantageous for eyes.
- It is also low in cholesterol and fat content.
- Every 100 grams of watermelon contains 6 grams of sugar which give it a sweet taste.
Watermelon is no doubt a juicy and nutritious fruit but before giving it to your pooch.
- First, wash it as there can be pesticides and spray particles that can be harmful if attached to the cutting knife and ingested by dogs.
- Peel it’s hard to skin off as it is also not good and nutritious for dogs.
- Cut the watermelon into pieces having width 1 inch and in small size; large pieces can cause the problem in ingestion and digestion.
Can dogs eat watermelon?
Yes, surely they can and it will cause no harm to it. It will benefit it in all the ways possible. You should not resist but rather give them this yummy and delicious fruit. This fruit is loved by both humans and dogs especially in summer seasons.