The answer is very simple; yes the dogs can eat popcorn. Popcorn is a whole grain food that is vital for both humans and dogs as well.
Although popcorn is one of the healthy and popular snack foods for dogs, however, it depends on you that how you prepare it. It contains some healthy nutrients that are beneficial for dogs. Can dogs eat popcorn safely? My dog ate popcorn will he be ok? All these questions will be answered in this article.
Table of Contents
Can Dogs Eat Popcorn?
Popcorn is a special type of corn that pops when it is heated. Each kernel has the small amount of water at its center when it is exposed to heating then water eventually tends the kernel to explode. This process is done in a popping machine.
How to Make Healthy Popcorn
The popcorn is prepared in a pot or in an air popper machine. These two methods are very suitable to make healthy popcorn. Here are some ingredients that are used to make healthy popcorn.
To Prepare Healthy Popcorn in a Pot, The Ingredients Quantity is as Follows
- Take ½ cup of popcorn kernels.
- Take 3 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil.
- Take ½ tablespoon of salt.
- Take a large pot. Put oil and kernels into it.
- Place it over medium heating for about 3 minutes until the popping stops.
- Remove it from the fire and pour it into a serving bowl.
- Season it with a salt and now popcorns are ready to serve.
You can use some herbs or spices to add flavor. If you want to make popcorn sweet then drizzle it with natural nut butter, or sprinkle it with the shaving of dark chocolate or cinnamon.
To achieve health benefits you can sprinkle it with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast contains vital nutrients such as protein, vitamins, fiber and many other essential minerals. It has nutty cheesy flavor.
What Ingredients to Avoid While Preparing Popcorn
Some ingredients create the problem for the health of dogs. So it is important to avoid those ingredients while preparing the popcorns.
Avoid butter in making popcorn. It contains a high amount of fat that is the main cause of increasing weight. So it is important to understand that butter has fat so it should not be used in the popcorn.
Salt can be dangerous for dogs health so it should be avoided to use while making the popcorn. The amount of salt in the popcorn can upset the stomach of dog and can develop the symptoms of diarrhea; dehydration and it can harm kidneys as well.
This ingredient can create the problem for the dog health. So it is very important to avoid the use of oil while preparing the popcorn. Use air popped popcorn in place of oil. It gives the natural touch to popcorn as well.
Is Real Popcorn Healthy?
Popcorn contains many important nutrients for example minerals, vitamins, and polyphenol antioxidants. These nutrients make it very popular healthy food in all over the world. Popcorn is also a good source of fiber that is very important not only for human but also for dogs as well. Popcorn is very healthy and delicious food to eat. It has so many health benefits.
Health Benefits of Popcorn
Many people say that my dog ate popcorn will he be ok? Popcorn is a whole grain food that has so many health benefits for both human and pets also. It has so many vital nutrients like vitaminB1, vitaminB2, vitaminB6, iron, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, fat, Fiber, portion etc.
The Health Benefits of Popcorn are Given Below in Detail
- Popcorn contains polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help your body cells a lot to protect themselves from damage by free radicals. Research shows that polyphenols have so many health benefits for the whole body examples it improves the digestive system and blood circulation. The polyphenolic compound is an example of powerful antioxidant so this compound helps the body to reduce the chances of cancer including the Breast and prostate cancer and they play their role to improve the whole body health and prevents the body from many dangerous diseases.
- Popcorn contains the high amount of dietary fiber. It plays vital role to reduce the danger of many harmful diseases in the body.
Research shows that dietary fiber in the popcorn helps the dog health in many ways.
- It helps to make bowel movement smooth and quick.
- It plays its role to keep constipation away from the dog.
- It reduces the strain on the cardiac system and helps to regulate the blood flow in the body.
- Dietary fiber put a vital impact on blood sugar in the blood and it tends to balance the insulin in the body. Therefore popcorn is usually recommended for those people who are suffering from diabetes.
- Dietary fiber helps to reduce cholesterol level in the body.
- It also reduces the body weight and it improves the digestive system also.
The daily recommended amount of dietary fiber intake for men is 38 gram and a woman is 25 gram. In the same way, the proper amount of dietary fiber is required by pets on a daily basis.
How much popcorn should feed to a dog on Daily basis?
Popcorn is a very healthy food. You should be careful about its daily intake. You can feed a few pieces of popcorn to meet with the body requirements of your dog. It is your responsibility to monitor its reactions on your dog after eating the popcorn. If you feel any change in the behavior of your dog then avoid feeding the popcorn to your dog. Research shows that dogs have very sensitive digestive systems; any change can create serious health problems for them. On the other hands if you feel no change in its behavior then give him more pieces of popcorn to eat.
What happens when you give too much popcorn to dog
If you give too much popcorn to your dog then it can create serious health problems. The excess amount of popcorn can disturb his metabolism system for a long period of time and it also can cause organ failure. Your dog can have the problem of teeth and can face difficulty in chewing the food.