Grapes are green or black colored sweet and tangy berry like fruits. These are tasty and are consumed and loved by human beings but the problem that has risen from 2001. Are grapes toxic for dogs? As the dog care and health centers receive many complaints of grape and raisin poisoning. Since then, doctors and scientists are trying to find the cause of grape poisoning. So, an important question of today is, Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
It is discussed in detail in this article.
All You Need To Know About Can Dogs Eat Grapes ?
If you will ask veterinary doctors or search this on the internet you will get the answer that is a big fat capital NO. It is because of the poisoning and toxicity that your dog has to suffer after eating grapes. Grapes are yummy and juicy but these cannot be assuming to dogs. In the case of grapes, you have to ignore their cute beautiful eyes but it’s for their own well being. It is better not to give them grapes. Grapes are sweet and tangy you can eat them but don’t feed it to your pet dog.
If Dogs Eat Grapes Seeds?
Grapes and raisins are toxic and harmful to dogs but grape seeds are beneficial if their oil is casting. Seeds in grapes are not associated with poisoning as most of the doctors relate it with skin and flesh. Grape seeds oil is very beneficial for dogs as grapes seeds contain omega 6 fatty acids which are advantageous in many ways. Its oil was not reduced till the 1970s. A lecturer found that besides vitamin C other nutrients are also present in grape seeds. These are named as OPCS, Procyanidolic oligomers (PCOs). Seeds of grapes also have high weight age of Vitamin E and linoleic acid.
These have many benefits which improve dog’s health.
These have the following important agents
- Anti allergens
- Anti inflammatory agent
- Anti mutagenic agents (chemicals that prevent changes)
Sometimes grape seeds oil can cause allergic reactions in dog’s body but it is rare. The symptoms of allergy
- Irritation all over the body
- Throat swelling
- Problem in breathing
This oil comes in many forms; capsules, liquid, and ingredient in many products.
Give your dog 1 capsule two times in a day. You can mix it with its food. Don’t give this to it regular but sometimes will be okay.
If your dog is carrying babies or is feeding its puppies then don’t give until needed.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes And Raisins?
Grapes and raisins are malicious for dogs. Raisins are dried grapes.
Raisin word came from the French language that means grape and this, in turn, came from Latin language Racemes meaning cluster of grapes.
Raisins are no doubt healthy for humans. These have
- 72% sugar (that is mainly fructose and glucose)
- 3% protein content
- 68% fiber
- High antioxidant content
- Vitamin C (in lower amount)
- No cholesterol
The poisoning can cause kidney damage and lack of urination. The pathologist found that there was the golden brown color found in the epithelial cells of kidneys.
You could take them to the veterinary doctor. The treatment which can be given to pet dogs at home is Emesis (self caused vomiting). Veterinary doctors give Apomorphine to pet dogs for inducing vomit.
Once my dog ate a raisin but behaved normally. I was worried but he was totally fine even after two days.
It is not compulsory that one or 2 raisins will cause allergy or toxicity.
Some dogs get ill just after eating the raisin. The doctors still don’t know the real toxic substance that causes all the problems.
Can Grapes Harm Dogs?
YES, grapes can cause harm to dogs. Grapes can cause contamination in dogs.
Not all dogs get grape poisoning; some dogs are totally fine after eating grapes but some get problems described below.
- Bad smell
- Loss of water (due to diarrhea)
- Stomach and intestine pain
- Reduced urination
- Kidney failure
- The most dangerous symptoms are seen after 1 or 2 days of ingestion. Some dogs don’t develop any harmful signs but the one which should be taken to veterinary doctors.
- You can also give them treatment at home.
- Sometimes your dog eats grapes from your kitchen pantry, floor or somewhere else.
- Sometimes you suspect that he had eaten grapes.
- The most effective method is to make them vomit what they had eaten.
- You can give them any meal it will cause them to vomit after 1 or 2 hours.
- You may also feed hydrogen peroxide liquid to your dog as 1 ml of 3% of hydrogen peroxide per pound of dog weight.
- If the symptoms start to appear rush to the pet doctor.
- In some cases, the dog behaves normally so there is no need of giving this treatment or going to the doctor.
- This is also associated to allergy specifying with some dog breeds.
- The reason of grape poisoning is still unknown to doctors.
Cause Of Allergic Reactions To Grapes
Toxicity of grapes and raisins in dogs is reasonable with some theories and statements.
One of these is that this can be inherited as some dogs become sick and others are perfectly fine.
You should also not worry for large dog breeds like Labrador as the dogs are big and strong.
These can be perfectly fine after eating grapes but in fewer amounts as too much consumption can cause problems.
A theory is also put in mind; it states that poisoning due to grapes can be due to NEPHROTOXIC MYCOTOXINS (poison secreted by fungus, mold and yeast.
All these can be anxious reasons but the poison is not confirmed yet.
After, reading the above article you will come to know that grapes and raisins are toxins for the dog but not for all dogs. The reason is still unknown that causes this poisoning but the question that,
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Is simply answered by a NO because grapes are considered dangerous for pet dogs. Humans can eat this but don’t give them to your adorable dogs.