Pet owners are always on different websites and stores, searching for foods and dog food stuff. It is because sometimes the dogs are not eating their meals. In this situation, cinnamon comes to your rescue. There are some problems regarding this topic as cinnamon is not a food. The main reason for writing this article is to end this confusion. So,
Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon
We will discuss it in detail here.
Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon?
Yes, dogs can eat cinnamon. It is not harmful for dogs. It has no side effects. Cinnamon is of nutritional value as it benefits the dog. It should not be given in its daily diet as it is not required unless your dog is not eating it. If you sprinkle cinnamon powder on your dog diet then it becomes appealing. It adds new flavor to dog’s meal.
Cinnamon is of two types and it depends on the owner to identify the right one for your dog.
- Ceylon cinnamon
- Cassia cinnamon
is made from the bark (tough and upper surface stem covering) of Ceylon tree. It has a low content of coumarin ( an organic compound that is made naturally). Its low quantity is the reason why it is more suitable for dogs. It is expensive to a little extent and is darker in color.
Cassia cinnamon comes from Chinese tree bark. It has a high content of coumarin. The high content of coumarin is not good for dogs as it is risky for them. It is lighter in shade them Ceylon cinnamon.
Is Cinnamon Safe For Dogs?
- Cinnamon is safe for dogs; it is hazardous for horses, cattle, and birds.
- Cinnamon is good for dogs and if your dog consumes a little amount you don’t need to worry.
- Sometimes, if ingested in large amount dogs try to get well on their own.
- If they don’t show any serious symptoms then you can relax.
Is Cinnamon Bad For Dogs?
Cinnamon is not toxic or harmful but its large quantity can cause stomach upset and dehydration.
You should give your pet a lot of water.
Cinnamon is declared as non poisonous by ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
Cinnamon poses no detrimental effects until taken in large amounts.
How Much Cinnamon Can Dogs Eat?
Cinnamon is not something that can be fatal for dogs but the amount should be monitored. The dosage of cinnamon can be given according to the weight of your dog.
A supposed figure is given but you can also consult the veterinary doctor for confirming the dose of cinnamon.
It is the supposed amount of cinnamon powder you should give to your pooch.
- 1to 10 lbs dog can consume a small amount of cinnamon more like 1/8 teaspoon
- 10 to 20 lbs dog can take ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 20 to 50 lbs dog can take ¼ to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 50 to 100 lbs dog can consume 1 to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- More than 100 lbs weight of dog can consume 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
This amount can be given without any fear but if you have any confusion then you can also ask your veterinary doctor.
Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon Cookies?
Yes, they can but the ingredients nutritional weight age means a lot as the amount of elements added is necessary and you should be careful of it.
While giving them cinnamon cookies first read their nutritional content as large dose of cinnamon is harmful for your dog.
You can also give your cute pooch Apple Cinnamon Cookies.
It is easy to make with right amount of cinnamon.
Way of making
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 1 small apple shredded
- 1, 1/3 cups of water
- Take a large sized bowl.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, cinnamon, eggs in it.
- Add vegetable oil in the same bowl.
- Shred the small apple in the water and mix with water in the bowl.
- Blend all the ingredients in the bowl and stop when it starts to take the shape of a ball and leaves the boundary of the bowl.
- Now take this mixture and put rub it well on the surface covered with flour.
- Knead it until the cookie dough is ¼ to half an inch.
- You can give cookies the shape you like by using different gratings.
- Apply oil lightly on to the baking sheet placed in the tray.
- Put the cookies on it.
- Let it in the oven for an hour at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When you take them out let them cool then put them in the storage container or bowl.
- Giving your dog one daily will not cause any problem and he will enjoy it.
Beneficial Effects Of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is a spice, not any food stuff but it has enormous health benefits as it contains beneficial elements. These have an excellent effect on your dog’s health and body.
- It has anti inflammatory properties.
- Cinnamon is able of reducing bacterial and fungal growth; it is good for dogs having bacterial and fungal infections.
- Regular dosage of half teaspoon cures arthritis and joint inflexibility
- It lessens pain caused by cancer
- It raises your dog’s energy level.
Other than health beneficial effects it has also some other benefits.
- It entices the dog’s hunger as it has fragrance for which your pets go crazy. Some dogs are suffering from sour mood they don’t like and eat food. And some are angry at their owner but if you want them to eat their meal then all you have to do is to sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon.
If your dog has an injury then cinnamon can also cure it.
- Mix cinnamon with honey, this blend heals injuries naturally.
- It is a naturally healing mixture.
If you add warm water in this mixture then it can cure following problems
- Heart sickness
- Tooth pain
- Respiratory issues
It is an awesome thing that you can easily add to your dog’s meals and treats.
Negative Consequences Of Eating Cinnamon
It is not that cinnamon oil or cinnamon is harmful for dogs but its consumption in large amounts can cause problems.
Some of these are,
- A decrease in blood sugar level
- Liver ailment
- Abnormal Heart beat
It also has detrimental effects if gulped directly by your pet dog.
If your pooch eats a lot of cinnamon and you notice symptoms of illness then you should immediately call the veterinary doctor.
Cinnamon can be given to dogs.
Indeed in small amounts it is safe for dogs but you should be careful of some things.
- If you are giving your dog any new product, food or treat and it contains cinnamon; cinnamon is not harmful but the other ingredients can be poisonous.
- You should confuse yourself with cinnamon products containing chocolate and nutmeg.
- Chocolate and nutmeg both are poisonous for dogs so don’t give your pooch such market products.
- Always keep the cinnamon candles, sticks and oils from your dog as these are not safe for its health.
Pet owners are always worrying about stuff like what to give the dog? And what will be better for it? Some pet’s parents are always changing pooch diet so that their dog start eating it but the addition of cinnamon can make them eat their meal on time.
Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon?
Yes, they can and cinnamon makes them eat their meal by its intoxicating and appetizing fragrance. It also ends the pet owner’s agony.