People like to have dogs as their pets. But it is very important to be cautious about their diet.
They become very careful while picking their pet food. Dogs like milk and meat the most. The owners use supplements which have all the required integral nutrition.
But they are prudent about their diet. They also give fruits and vegetables. Dogs like to eat green leafy vegetables like cabbage.
They also like fruits like oranges and bananas. Some dogs go crazy for carrots but you have to be heedful of their digestive system.
Can Dogs Eat Carrots?
The answer is YES. Dogs can eat carrots. Carrots are easily available and are low cost. You can give them raw carrots and also cooked carrots. Both are good for dogs.
Wild carrots should not be given them as they are poisonous. But the quantity of carrots should not be too much.
We all know that Excess of anything is bad. So you should be careful.
Are Carrots Good For Dogs
Can carrots be given to dogs as a feast?
The answer is YES because carrots are good for dogs as they have low fat content. These are a source of Vitamin A and have Beta Carotene which improves Eyesight.
Dog owners can use carrots as they are nutritious also dogs like to play with them and sometimes go crazy for them.
Carrots are sweet, have a beautiful color and their contexture is mainly responsible for making them likeable and loveable.
How Many Carrots Can Dogs Eat A Day
Dogs can eat 2 to 3 baby carrots in a day. If you are using raw carrots then you should either chop them or cut them in vertical pieces.
Raw and cooked both forms of carrots are good for dogs. Dogs like baby carrots more because they are easy to chew and munch.
So you could give them or you could mix carrots in their supplement. Moreover, it depends on the variety or breed of the dog you have that how many carrots you can give them.
If it is a big dog it can eat more but if it is a small dog it will eat less.
Are Carrots Good For Puppies
YES, carrots are good for puppies, especially for teething puppies. Carrot is sweet and has a crumbly and crispy contexture. Puppies like to chew it and nibble it.
It prevents dental problems and also relaxes the puppies as it is a good anxiety reducer. Big carrots can be used as toys by puppies.
Carrots can be given to puppies that are older than 5 weeks. As carrot is a low-calorie food so your puppy will not become a meatball if it eats more, being a greedy dog
Why Should Dogs Eat Carrots
- Carrots contain Vitamin A in sufficient amount. It is also the source of rhodopsin. Rhodopsin is a pigment in the retina of eye which is immensely sensitive to light and allows good vision in dim light. It improves night vision and makes it easy to see at night.
- Vitamin A is also good for dog’s coat and skin.
- It contains Beta-Carotene which improves Eyesight and protects the field of vision of both eyes from damage. Indirectly it hinders macular degeneration.
- It also has high fibre content which helps in regulating bowel movements.
- Carrot has anti-cancer properties. It is also immunity booster.
- It also lessens the risk of heart diseases. Carrots in raw form are beneficial to dogs as they help teeth to strengthen and also have a cleansing effect.
Do Carrots Help In Reducing Weight
Obesity is a major problem nowadays. Not only human beings are obese but dogs are also. Obesity creates a lot of problems.
It is responsible for heart problems, arthritis, and diabetes. You have to be careful if you want your dog to have a better and active life.
You should be careful about its diet. Instead of giving your dog high-calorie food treat you could give them veggies and fruit.
Carrot is considered good because it is low calorie and is a good alternative to biscuits. So if your dog has arthritis or back pain and the veterinary doctor has recommended your dog to reduce weight.
Carrots can help you. Carrots have 1% fat. So you should have them at hand. But you should consult your vet about the quantity you should give to your dog.
Moreover, your dog should also exercise on daily basis to burn the calories and reduce weight.
Conclusion And Safety Measures
So the answer to the question that
Can Dogs eat carrots?
YES, they can and it is advantageous for them. Being a pet owner is not easy so you should be careful of many aspects.
Carrots are good for dogs. But there are some measures you should be careful about;
- Carrots have high carbohydrate content and all its nutrients are enclosed in cellulose. As cellulose is not broken by dogs easily so you should boil the carrots for 5 to 6 minutes. So that your dog should not encounter any problem.
- Wild carrots contain toxins so you should be careful when your dog is around them as it should not eat them.
- Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin which allows fat storage so it should not be taken by your dog in large amount.
- If your dog has diabetes you should not give it carrots in large amount as carrot have natural sugars and they could increase their sugar level and it could be dangerous.
- If you are giving your dog carrots for the first time, observe their stool for 1 or 2 days. If there are undigested parts of carrot in it. Then it is wiser to not give carrots to it.