Broccoli is a green edible vegetable which belongs to the family of cauliflower.
BROCCOLI word is of Italian origin. Broccoli is plural of Italian word broccoli meaning flowery crest of cabbage. Also, BROCCO means sprout or small bud.
BROCCOLI consists of a thin stalk which grows into a flowery head. Broccoli production is highest in CHINA.
People like to eat broccoli in various ways. It could be cooked, steamed and baked. People also like to eat broccolis in raw form.
Broccoli is used to make salads, sauces, soups, pasta. It is also used in some chicken and beef dishes.
It is a nutritious vegetable for human beings but the query that,
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Is debated below;
Table of Contents
- 1 Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
- 2 Can Dogs Eat Broccoli in Its Raw Form?
- 3 Can Dogs Eat Cooked Broccoli?
- 4 Can Puppies Eat Raw Broccoli?
- 5 Is It Safe For Dogs To Eat Broccoli?
- 6 How Much Broccoli Can Dog Eat?
- 7 Benefits Of Eating Broccoli
- 8 Dog’s Condition After Consuming Broccoli In Large Amount
- 9 Risks Of Eating Broccoli
- 10 Conclusion
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Broccoli is a healthful veggie whose 100 grams yield 34 kcal. It is nutritious and advantageous. About the question that,
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli?
Can be answered in three words, a big one YES. A dog’s diet should consist of 25 % veggies and fruits. But this ratio is for long time period. And it is not necessary to give your pooch this regularly. 50 % of dog veggies should be green leaves.
But your dog’s daily diet should contain 5 % veggies as these contain fiber and good for your pet’s health.
But giving your dog broccoli in large amount can cause disturbance in its digestive system.
Can Dogs Eat Broccoli in Its Raw Form?
YES, dogs can eat raw broccoli. You could chop it in small pieces and feed your pooch raw broccoli. You could also boil, steam it. Steaming it makes it softer. You could also smash or grind it making a paste. You could also make broccoli juice and give it by mixing it in its food.
Broccoli is also a part of BARF diet. BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. It contains 20 to 40 % veggies and fruits.
Broccoli flower and stalk both give a balanced nutrition. It is a source of fiber; it helps in smooth digestion flow.
Can Dogs Eat Cooked Broccoli?
You can give your dog broccoli by cooking it with meat. Cooking makes it easier for dogs to digest it as it softens it, also it makes chewing for them easier. Steaming it for 5 to 10 minutes can also make it soft. And it is more advantageous for dogs.
Can Puppies Eat Raw Broccoli?
Yes, puppies can eat broccoli but in minute quantity as their digestive system is delicate. So giving more amount of broccoli can be dangerous. Broccoli has a high fiber content which is good for its digestive system.
Broccoli has low fat content and is low calorie.
So if your puppy is greedy you can give it small amount of broccoli daily.
You can give puppy broccoli by mixing it in its food along with chicken, carrot and chicken soup.
Is It Safe For Dogs To Eat Broccoli?
- Dogs can eat broccoli but in small amount.
- It is advantageous but its high consumption can be dangerous as it can cause poisoning.
- Broccoli is low calorie and has high content of vitamin C which is good for your puppy but if given in sufficient amount.
- Excess can cause problems.
- Its stems are the safest.
- Some fresh broccoli in small amount is good for dogs.
- Large quantity is not safe.
- While cooking broccoli don’t use seasoning or oils.
- The more naturally it is given it is good for your dogs.
How Much Broccoli Can Dog Eat?
The amount of broccoli that should be given depends on the size of your dog.
A big dog can definitely eat more amount of broccoli as compared to a small dog that can eat only a small amount.
1 to 2 small pieces of broccoli can be good for your dog.
It will be good for it and will not cause any problem.
Benefits Of Eating Broccoli
Broccoli is a green vegetable which is beneficial for dogs.
- It contains sufficient amount of Vitamin C and K.
- It contains Dietary fiber, Manganese, low content of fat, Protein and Carbohydrates.
- It has Calcium and Beta carotene.
- It is rich in Folate; which is a dietary vitamin.
- It is vitamin power house, rich in antioxidants.
Broccoli has all these ingredients, which makes it highly advantageous for your dog’s health.
- It has high content of fiber which is good for dog’s intestinal health.
- It has BIOFLAVONOIDS; a special vitamin which is responsible for its anti-inflammatory, anticancer, anti-allergic properties.
- It gives protection against bacteria.
- It boosts immunity.
- It repairs cell’s DNA producing anti-aging effect.
- It has natural teeth cleansing effect.
- It has ph balancing effect.
- It can reduce its waistline if given in pea size pieces.
Dog’s Condition After Consuming Broccoli In Large Amount
A dog shows many signs if he accidentally eats broccoli in large amount.
Broccoli contains toxin so if your dog eats large quantity of broccoli it can be dangerous for your dog.
A dog shows following signs;
- Mood changes
- Turning into a ball
- Pale gums
Risks Of Eating Broccoli
Broccoli is a nutritious vegetable but it can be risky.
Broccoli contains a toxin in its head.
It is known as ISOTHIOCYANATE.
It is a strong gastric irritant and affects the dog’s health adversely.
Chewing broccoli head can also cause poisoning as isothiocyanate is present in the head of broccoli.
For a pet owner, pet’s health is most important. The diet plan the owner arranges for the pooch affects its health. As it contains all the dietary supplements which are needed by the dog. If the dietary plan is not good it can cause deficiency of various important minerals and vitamins in your dog. So the dog’s diet should contain all the important supplements.
The question that
CAN DOGS EAT BROCCOLI?
YES, they can but the amount of broccoli given should be moderate as broccoli is good for your dog’s health but it can have adverse effects on your dog’s digestive system if taken in large amount.